Thursday, February 3, 2011

Announcements



The Killing Never Ends

Romper, bomper, stomper, boo. Tell me, tell me, tell me do. Magic mirror, tell me today, have all my friends had fun at play? Any Romper Room fans out there?

I can see my friend
Novella, whom I'd like to thank for her posting about these bug zappers. The kiddo and I spent the better part of an hour fighting over who would get to fry the flies.

"Can I try?"

"Wait, wait. Just let me get this one."

"Please, can I try it?"

"Wait till I get that one flying really high."

"Just one time? Pleeeeeeease!"

It's obvious that I was totally bogarting that electric swatter, but before you feel too bad for the child I did let her get her fair share of zaps in. We had a blast with our new toy, high five-ing each other after every good zzzzzt. There's nothing better than the sound of sizzling bugs. I think I've found a replacement for my flea picking compulsion. The dog and cat will be so relieved.

Goodbye stinky, gross fly traps. You've been replaced.




Farm Tours

I know I've tried this before, but I really mean it this time. For reals. Starting next week, the farm will be open on Fridays from 10-11 a.m. for visitors and anyone looking to pick up some farm goodies (email me for address). Please show up within this time slot if you want a good look around and a bit of chat. If you show up at 10:55, you will get a whirlwind five minute tour and if you show up after 11 you will be "shit out of luck", as my mom likes to say. I hate to sound like such a biznatch because we really do love showing folks around and sharing our space with the urban farm curious, but the amount of work that needs to get done around here combined with two (work at home) jobs precludes us from being available all the time. I realize this is an impossible time slot for those of you with regular jobs so if you really, really can't make that time, email me and we'll work something out.

Here's a list of current farm treaties available:

Eggs
Chevre
Spicy Salsa
California Chile Salsa
Catsup
Strawberry Syrup
Ollalieberry Jam
Lemon Apple Butter
Blueberry Jam
Goat Milk Soap
"Cluckin' Good Eggs" T-shirts

Internships and Apprenticeships

Did you know there's a difference? I'd been using the words interchangeably until I read this article and realized I shouldn't be playing fast and loose with semantics. "Say what you mean, and mean what you say." That's what my dad always told me to do.

Anywho, I had a couple of folks who were supposed to start interning at the beginning of the year, but that fell through. I've now got a couple slots open for any interested parties. Folks should have an interest in the following:

1. Gaining firsthand experience with various aspects of the urban farm: food production and preservation, animal care, and maintenance/use of space/beautification. The internship can focus on any or all of the three categories, depending on interests.

2. Committing to working 6-8 hours a week for a minimum of 12 weeks.

3. Having a real desire to learn about urban farming practices and a willingness to work hard at a variety of tasks including light construction, mucking manure, digging, and handling stubborn, willful goats.

Itty Bitty is an experiment in self-sufficiency (like we don't make any bread for making our own bread, man) so we can't pay interns money. However, we do shell out in eggs, milk, and produce for a hard day's work. Email me if you are interested.

Spring Chicken Class

A good number of people had said that they would be interested in taking a chicken class at Itty Bitty if it was offered. Hmm... so what happened to everyone? Do you all have plans that weekend? Is it the time? Are you afraid that I'm going to be really mean and have you stick your fingers up the backside of a chicken to prove your readiness for hen ownership (I swear I won't do that)? Talk to me, people. I was expecting a larger number of folks to sign up and I would hate to have to cancel on the couple that have already committed.

The class will be on February 26th from 1-4 p.m. I promise it will be super fun. There will be loads of good info, you'll get to try your hand at wrangling chickens, I'll give a wing clipping demonstration, AND there will be farm snacks.

(Wow, I didn't mean for this post to be so long... and bitchy... and whiny. Sorry. I'll go ahead and blame it on "that time of the month".)


3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that bug zapper is AWESOME. Where did you get that from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy smokes that zapper whapper fry thing is awesome! I would love to know where you got it from. Love that you are opening up for treats and a chat, wished i lived closer i would totally swing by. Good luck I hope you sell lots and find some good conversations

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those bug zappers. We own two and Rick and I have a contest to see how many we can zap in one hour. Kind of like a bug-gut splattering tennis match.

    ReplyDelete