Thursday, March 18, 2010

Wrapping Up with Winter


As winter draws to a close, the oranges have been hanging heavy on my neighbor's tree, many succumbing to a moldy, liqueur-stenchful fate. I hate seeing perfectly good produce go to waste. When we visit my in-laws in Fresno, it pains me to watch the folks, living in poverty stricken neighborhoods, bring loads of fruit home from the grocery store when their own backyards are bursting at the seams with sun-kissed ripe oranges, grapefruit, lemons, and limes. My neighbor is a diabetic, so she has a good excuse. I offered her a dozen fresh eggs in exchange for some of her oranges, even though most of us here at Itty Bitty have a sensitivity to citrus. I figured I could serve some O.J. at our next soiree or brunch. Feel free to invite yourself over.

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea. One question about freezing in glass: Is it okay if you leave room at the top for expansion? It makes me nervous but sure would be nice to use all my Mason jars between cannings for things like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely leave room at the top for expansion! At least 3/4 of an inch to 1 inch - depending on the size of the jar and the type/amount of liquid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The jars I used were Mason jars specifically for freezing - they have straight sides rather than a shoulder at the top. If you use jars that go in towards the neck, definitely fill to below the curve.

    ReplyDelete